A delicious smokey aubergine spread best served with our Cranberry Walnut Loaf for a hint of sharp sweetness to counterpoint this hearty spread.
- 2 loaves of La Brea Bakery Cranberry Walnut
- 2 medium-sized aubergine (about 250/300g each)
- 1/2 cup tahini + 2 tbsp
- 3/4 cup Crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (paste or grated on the microplaner)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp shallots
- ¼ cup each parsley and dill
- ¼ tsp honey
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp toasted pepitas roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 Tbsp Za’atar
- 1 Tbsp dill fronds
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C)
- Prick each aubergine a few times, then char the outside evenly by placing them directly on hot grill, turn them until the eggplants are uniformly charred on the outside.
- While aubergine are charing add shallots, garlic, sour cream and Crème fraîche to a small bowl and let stand with a light pinch of salt
- Slice aubergine in-half the long way, salt lightly and place on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until they’re completely soft and most of the liquid has evaporated; a poke from a paring knife poke should meet no resistance. Remove from the oven
- While the aubergine is cooling, place tahini and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and blend on high about 30 seconds. Then add Crème fraîche mixture and honey and blend another 30 seconds.
- Add the dill, parsley olive oil and blend 30 seconds more or until the olive oil is incorporated
- Scrape the pulp from the skins. Puree the pulp in a blender or food processor with the other ingredients – it should be relatively smooth but still with some texture to the aubergine and all ingredients should be incorporated into the mix.
- Taste, and season with additional salt and lemon juice, if necessary. Let is stand at least 20 minutes in the refrigerator or make up to a day ahead before serving.
- To serve sprinkle with chopped pepitas, sumac, Za’atar and perhaps some additional herbs
- Serve with quarter slices of La Brea Bakery Cranberry Walnut Loaf and/or Olive Loaf
Recipe by: Cottage Farm