La Brea Bakery’s vision is to create food with integrity, leveraging our global resources to improve environmental, economic and social outcomes.
Our goal at Aspire Bakeries is to source sustainable ethically sourced ingredients.
- We have transitioned all La Brea Bakery recipes to 100% cage free eggs and we will transition the rest of our recipes by 2025
- We purchase RSPO Book & Claim certificates to cover 100% of the palm oil we source in North America
- We also provide several customers with Mass Balance Palm Oil, and 14 of our bakeries are RSPO Mass Balance Certified
- We never use materials from the list of 101 ingredients
- All Vendors are expected to sign and comply with Aspire Bakeries' Vendor Code of Conduct, and agree to 3rd party audits for compliance
In addition to ensuring compliance with all regulatory and industry environmental standards, we’re constantly working towards reducing our energy and water use.
- Our La Brea Bakeries are Zero Waste to Landfill through recycling or waste to energy. Last year we diverted 20,234,940 lbs. of waste, equivalent to 1,530 Adult Elephants.
- Reducing Energy Intensity- This last year we reduced electricity used per pound of production by 11.6%. That reduction equals 959,723 kWh of energy saved, enough to power 89 houses for one year.
- Reducing Water Intensity- This last year we reduced our water use per pound by 7.1 %. That equals 2,117,124 gallons of avoided water use, equivalent to filling 104 in ground pools.
- We report to the Annual Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), and have completed 2030 Science-Based Targets for Carbon Footprint Reduction.
Our vision is that each employee contributes directly to Aspire Bakeries' growth and success, and our most important priority is to provide a safe and healthy working environment.
- Our recordable injury rate is 47% below industry average, and our lost time injury rate is 74% below
- We’ve improved our employee onboarding process at both bakeries to reduce turnover
- We provide training on auditing, social accountability, and compliance in support of our employee Code of Conduct
- We are proud to offer tuition reimbursement and parental leave benefits, along with our employee service recognition program and employee referral program, we have initiated an employee diversity strategy and offer comprehensive health and wellness programs including health screenings, diabetes prevention, and a flu shot program
We ensure that our food meets the high quality standards set by our customers, and meets or exceeds all food safety laws, regulations and guidelines.
- We use simple ingredients across our entire portfolio and never use artificial preservatives, flavors or colors
- Both bakeries operate under comprehensive food safety and preventative control plans, and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP)
- Both bakeries are GFSI-Certified for food safety and quality processes
- Most breads are certified Non-GMO Verified and Kosher
- Our Take & Bake line is certified Vegan
As a leading brand, and a brand built on providing the very best food, we have a responsibility to the communities in which we operate. Our focus is reducing hunger and improving children’s lives.
- In the last 4 months we’ve donated 338,236 lbs. of artisan bread to local charities
- We partner with Feeding America and Red Cross Disaster Relief
- La Brea Bakery Café partners with “Chefs to End Hunger” and donates around 11K lbs. per year
At the height of the pandemic, team members at our Van Nuys Bakery launched an in house face mask production project where over 13,110 masks were produced. These masks were then shipped to team members across North America!
The La Brea Bakery Van Nuys location will be powered by fuel cells in 2022. Fuel cells allow for onsite electricity generation and result in major carbon emission reductions.
Aspire Bakeries has partnered with organizations to provide meals to people whose lives have been impacted by the pandemic, as well as donating food directly to community members working on the front lines. We’re touching all parts of North America with our bread and food donations and are proud to make this small difference during a very difficult time. Thank you to everyone involved in securing and distributing these donations.