- 1 loaf of La Brea Bakery French Baguette
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cup reduced-fat milk
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- Maple Syrup
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients for the praline topping in a medium bowl and blend with a pastry blender or fork. Sprinkle over the top of the bread.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.