Our version of the American Classic.
- 2 Large Ripe Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 Large Red Onion
- 1 x Sea Salt
- 1 x Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 ½ lbs. Ground Beef
- 3 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 6 (1 oz.) slices American cheese
- 6 x Leaf or Romaine Lettuce Leaves
- Telera Roll
- Lightly oil and preheat grill. Cut the tomato into ¼ inch thick slices; season lightly with sea salt and pepper. Set aside. Cut the red onion into 1/8 inch thick slices; season lightly with sea salt and pepper. Set aside. Brush the cut side of each sandwich roll with olive oil and set aside.
- Being careful not to overwork the meat, shape it into 6 oval patties. Sprinkle both sides of each patty with about ¼ teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the patties on the hot grill. Grill until they can be turned without sticking, then turn. For rare, cook about 4 minutes on each side; for medium-rare, 5 minutes on each side; for medium, 6 minutes on each side.
- Just before the burgers are done cooking, top each with a slice of cheese and let melt. While burgers are grilling, place the rolls, cut side down, on grill to toast lightly, about 2 minutes.
- Place lettuce and tomato slices on the bottom half of toasted sandwich rolls. Top with burgers and onion. Finish with roll tops. Serve with ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.