Savory bread pudding has never been better with this mouth-watering recipe.
- 3 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 8 oz. Applewood Smoked Bacon
- 4 oz. Whole Cooked Chestnuts
- 4 Eggs
- 1 bunch Italian Parsley
- 1 tsp. Celery Salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- French Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the bread into 1” cubes, removing crust, and place in a large bowl. Pour the chicken stock over the bread and stir to wet all the bread. Allow to sit for a half hour, stirring occasionally to be sure all the liquid is absorbed.
- Coarsely chop the chestnuts. While waiting for the bread to soak, put a medium pan over medium heat and add the bacon and chestnuts. Stir occasionally and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the bacon is golden but not yet crispy.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Pick only the leaves of the parsley, chop coarsely and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly with a fork or whisk and add the cream, celery salt, pepper, and chopped parsley, continuing to whisk until combined. Add this mixture and the chestnuts-bacon mixture (use a rubber spatula to get everything from the pan) to the bread and stir to mix well.
- Spray the inside of a 9” baking pan with cooking spray and fill with the bread mixture, making sure to spread evenly to fill the pan and create a level top surface. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake on middle rack for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- This can be served immediately or allowed to cool completely for serving later. If serving later, cover with foil and place in a 350-degree oven for 20 minutes or until warmed through. This recipe makes nine 3” by 3” pieces. Serve as an accompaniment to roasted meats.